CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 30, 2008

Pale Is The New Tan

I have fair skin. But that should not come as a surprise to anyone who has ever seen my mom. She has fair skin too, as do both of my grandmas, all my aunts, my grandpa and both my sisters. I basically come from a very white family. I resemble my mom and her mom in so many ways that it's not unusual for me to be pasty like them too.


I used to want to be tan, but I know now that's not going to happen. I've come to grips with that. My dad was born in Iowa, is mostly German, and should be white, buuuut he's not. In fact, his white in the winter is tanner than my skin in the summer.

I guess my obsession with not being a "whitey" comes mainly from my dad always being more tan than I was. Often he would hold out his arm to compare skin color while asking, "Who's tanner?"

But I have come to a conclusion, pale is the new tan. With the rising concern of skin cancer and sun damage, I have become a firm believer in being white. Yes, I may blind people with my whiteness. Yes, my skin can be used to reflect sunlight. And no, I don't glow in the dark... but that's ok with me because as far as I'm concerned, pale is the new tan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can just call yourself "Ally the Fair," and tan-ness will cease to be a disadvantage ;-)

mommy g said...

I will join the ranks, follow Matthew's advice, and forever be known as "Mommy g the Fair." It has a nice ring to it.

spadoodles said...

Ahhem....
One of your sisters was gifted with semi-Dad skin.....
Let's just say not ALL of your family is white ;-)